Our Lady of Mercy Girls’ primary school Shauri-Moyo first opened her doors as a learning institution in 1953, by the Sisters of Our Lady of Visitation Makadara.
The objective of the school was to give affordable quality education to girls. The parents of majority of the girls were engaged in the fight of Emergency period in 1952.
The first head teacher was Sister Dolorita, 1953 to 1973. She handed over to Sister Doreen, 1973 to 1989. That year the school was handed over to the Kenyan government. It was no longer being manned by the Catholic Church. The government agent- Teachers Service Commission through the Director City Education (DCE), appointed Mrs Munyi Mary Gorretti as the headteacher of the school in 1989. Mary Gorretti retired in 2002 and Mrs. Onyango Sabina took over. Mrs. Onyango is the headteacher to date.
The school in situated on Ambira road, off Jogoo road in Eastland of Nairobi City. Our catchment area includes estates of Majengo, ShauriMoyo, Bahati, Eastleigh section three and Gikomba. Some of the learners come from Kaloleni, Muthurwa and Makongeni estates.
Our school offer free primary education. The learners learn Mathematics, English, Kiswahili, Science, Social studies and Religious Education. These are examinable subjects. The other subject are Creative Art Life Skills and Physical Education.